Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Gratitude for Helping Hands






Creator I give thanks for the helping hands of my life. Bless those hands that are there without my knowledge. Bless the people who have worked to benefit my life. Bless them and their families. Give us the guidance to use our abilities to our greatest usefulness.

A couple of years ago I was given the opportunity to ride along with my friend, Tom Rosten, during the course of his workday. Tom is an engineer. He is a part of the management of the extensive San Joaquin Delta here in northern California. Tom, knowing my spiritual path and my interest in photography, invited me to experience the wildlife and scenery. We saw hawks, egrets, blue heron, and ducks. We witnessed a drawbridge moving up towards the sky, something that Tom had seldom witnessed of that particular bridge. Tom talked to one of the ranchers, and was explaining his thoughts about what he could see in a soil sample. I was looking away from them but listening to his words. The soil was speaking to him. By looking at it in his hand he knew that there was a problem with that particular stretch of levy by its color and texture. What I was looking at while their conversation was running through my head, was, a couple of dozen farm workers using a long sharp tool. They were jabbing the tool into the ground harvesting asparagus. It never occurred to me that asparagus was harvested that way but it made sense. Then a lesson of gratitude spoke to me. Everyday there are many hands caring for me. These hands touch the soil to ensure the safety of the levies; they work to grow the food; they load the food on trucks; drive the trucks; they stock the shelves. At any given time there are many helping hands in my life, in many different aspects.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Hi! My name's Cristina and I'm Spanish. I am collecting flags. Can you visit my blog, please?